Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Review time!

Sorry for the long lapse in posts – I was out of the country (my next post will include a story from the trip – gumball related!). But finally, I’m back and ready for the third installment of Maison Gumball Reviews. Ready? Let’s go.

Maison Review #3 – Strawberry Shortcake Gumballs

I begin with a confession. I, Shmoel, have never had strawberry shortcake. Yes, my beloved fellow foodies. I am embarrassed to say it, but, alas, it is true. I placed my order for these gumballs from Gumball.com with a tinge of grief yet an overwhelming sense of excitement for the unknown. No, I’d never had strawberry shortcake, but soon, I would have the gumball modeled after this famed dessert.

And then, they arrived (the Strawberry Shortcake gumballs that is). My giddiness was undeniable, and I ripped open the box in juvenile glee. And there they were – white gumballs with red speckles and spots – as accurate a representation of strawberry shortcake that a gumball could ever hope to attain.

Biting into that first gumball, I immediately recognized the many flavors that make up the strawberry shortcake. There was a distinct fruit flavor that could only be strawberry. And there was the gnomic taste of a truncated cake. It was all there – at least I think. But extremely unsure of the accuracy of this globe’s composition, I set off to uncover the true cake. I wanted to be sure that the strawberry shortcake flavor had not been lost in translation, that the ball had remained true to its artful and supposedly delicious predecessor.

Long story short – the cake was good; the gumball was better. But, perhaps I’m biased – I am the proud proprietor of Maison de Gumball. Anyway, grading time!

Aroma – 3.5. Honestly, it didn’t really smell like strawberry shortcake.

Look – 3.5. About as accurate as it comes with gumballs. The speckles were surprisingly more visually appealing in this case (unlike the Fruit Freaks Gumballs).

Composition – 4.5. Superb chewability and very fresh.

Taste – 4.5. Better than the cake itself.

Overall, I give the Strawberry Shortcake gumballs 4 out of 5 balls.

I hope I haven’t insulted all bakers out there, but this gumball is better than the original (and best when both are crammed into one’s bouche all at once).

No comments: