Monday, June 23, 2008

My Second Review

Wow, I can't even believe that I'm in my second week of blogging. I'm really having a great time with it, and I especially hope that all of you out there have been enjoying your time at Maison de Gumball.

Now before I begin with the review, I'd like to go over the grading system I'm going to introduce with this second of many gumball reviews. In my first review, I mentioned a number of factors that may contribute to my ultimate rating of a gumball, but now I would like to *attempt* to focus on 4 key factors. Here they are - flavor, composition, aroma, and look. Each will be graded on a 5 point scale. Then, with some arbitrary rounding and imprecise math, I will assign the gumball an overall score out of 5 (scale of 5 "balls").

Also, as a reminder, all of the gumballs I buy will be from Gumball.com. They carry gumballs from every major manufacturer, and that should keep me busy for awhile. And now, onto the review.

Maison Review #2 - Fruit Freaks Gumballs

These gumballs were, well, fruity. Yes, that may seem quite apparent from their name "Fruit Freaks," but the aroma of the bag when I first opened it up was a touch overwhelming. As you can see from the picture, the gumballs are very bright and colorful - fun to look it, but would they be delightful for the taste buds?

Well, not exactly. Both the aroma and the look of the gumballs were clearly on the extreme side of the color and scent spectrum. These Fruit Freaks gumballs made themselves known. And once they really got to introduce themselves to my mouth, they certainly lived up to their gaudy outward appearance. Like the first time I smelled them, the first time I tasted them all I could think was "fruity." The overwhelming power of the fruit took me aback, but once I finally settled down into the rhythmic chewing of the gumball, I found it to be more or less pleasing. An enjoyable treat indeed (once I recovered from the initial shock of the fruit-filled atom bomb that infiltrated my unsuspecting oral cavity).

Grading time!

Aroma - 4. This one was a shocker but nonetheless enjoyable.

Look - 3.5. Fun but a touch on the gaudy side for my taste. Also, speckles generally connote spoiled food - not a pleasing sight on a chewy confection.

Composition - 4. Didn't really talk about this one in the general review, but I found this ball's composition to be quite enjoyable. Sufficient chewiness and taste did not subside for approximately 13 minutes and 46 seconds (what? you don't keep a stop-watch with you when chewing?).

Taste - 3.5. Just a little too much for me. I did enjoy it, but a slightly reduced flavor load would have allowed my olfactories and taste buds grasp the complex fruit flavor.

Overall, I give the Fruit Freaks gumball 3 and 3/4 balls out of 5.

For all the fruit fans out there, this gumball is certainly a treat. Gumball fans in general - be wary. This is one freaky fruit.

No comments: